Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Fair Air-Fare?

As I just came back from being staff at camp, I was sitting on the plane next to two of my friends. One of my friends asked the other how much she bought her ticket for. It was 150 dollars cheaper than what my other friend bought his for.
Understanding that different people buy their tickets at different times, it seems weird that people pay different amounts for the same services.
Is there a way to make the system fair, AKA have everyone pay the same amount for their ticket?
Think about it.

1 comment:

Eitan said...

I'm afraid it's not that simple. The airlines don't know how many people are going to want a certain flight. But the cost of flying the route stays fixed. So when demand is low, they can do two things. 1. Set a higher price for the fewer people buying tickets or 2. Lower the prices to get people to fly on a whim because of cheap fares. Either way, they can't keep the cost the same for everyone unless they know how much demand there is.