Thursday, November 10, 2011

And We're Back

Finally.
I like how Texas is on this map...
But this title invokes the question - where were you? And where was I? (I think that is the better question). Sometimes I feel like certain words or phrases allow for someone to ask interesting questions about their meaning. For example: I remember having a conversation with a friend many years ago. We were examining the word nowhere. No Where - maybe implying a non-place. But my friend ask if you can every be nowhere? He argued that once you are nowhere, then you are inevitably somewhere. I think we decided that nowhere exists, but you can never be there. So phrases like: "I am in the middle of nowhere" is literal nonsense (Obviously, you could argue that it makes sense colloquially). Are there any phrases you like to think about and explore the multiple issues and questions that arise from such phrases?

No comments: